Communication is a skill
It is an essential cornerstone in any human relationship, be it personal or professional. Effective communication maintains love and respect in personal relationships and lays the foundation for efficiency in a professional one. Choosing the wrong words and a harsh tone can not only defeat the purpose of communication but also make matters worse. On the other hand, choosing the right words and a respectful tone can make the other person more receptive to what you have to put forth.
Your honesty should not turn into cruelty.
Being rude or blunt is not the same as being truthful. Words have multiple meanings and interpretations.
Fortunately, communication is a skill, and like any other skill, it can be learnt, practised and perfected.
Here are a few tips to set you on the path to effective communication:
- Put your point of view across as clearly as possible
- Avoid beating around the bush
- There is always a less hurtful way to say something, find the right words
- There is always a more effective way to express your view, find the right words
- Acknowledge the other person’s opinion
- Maintain eye contact
- Encourage expression
- Instead of calling the other person wrong, try to show them an alternate perspective
- Be open to seeing things in a different perspective
- If your opinions don’t match, respectfully agree to disagree
So go on, play with those words…